Monday, August 26, 2013

How Well Do You Know Yourself?



How Well Do You Know Yourself?

When it comes to finding direction in life it stands to reason that "knowing yourself" is a key factor in determining direction.

If you don't have a map that provides you with details and direction on how to find your way, intuition and random guessing supports your choices and decisions. Bottom line-- having a guide that directs you is more effective; especially when the guide -- comes directly from within.

So, let's say you want to map out a map that will enable you to "know yourself" better -- provide you with direction for your life.

What are some of the things you might need to accomplish creating the map?

Well-- you need specific tools such as:
Being able to:
  •  think
  •  question
  •  visualize
  •  imagine
  •  seeking
  •  reason
  •  evaluate
  •  go within
  •  reflect

All of the aforementioned skills will enable you with the ability to self-assess and develop yourself-- free of cost.

Next step:
Get a journal or a writing pad and write down your plan of action; then, start asking yourself insightful questions?

What are some of the questions you might ask yourself?
  • Who am I?
  • What are my strengths and abilities?
  • What are my likes and dislikes?
  • What are my weaknesses?
  • What makes me happy?
  • Who do I want to be?
  • What am I good at doing?
  • What environments do I function best in?

Asking yourself questions assesses who you are and provides you with a visual of "you." Once you can physically see the nature of "who you are" on paper, it provides you with a better understanding of yourself and acts as a guide for further direction.
As you start to bear witness to "who you are" then, you can determine-- ok, what arena or medium can I create for myself or what profession can I apply myself within that is indicative of who I know myself to be?
What arena would enable me to contribute my greatness, skills, talents and abilities, and simultaneously make a difference in the lives of others?
Once you have a visual of "knowing yourself", how you would like to apply yourself, and in what arena you would like to flourish in, then you're ready for your plan of action!
Create your action plan
So, you now have a better sense of knowing yourself -- "who you are", and where you would like to apply yourself. Determine "what" you want/need to do and "where" you need to go in order to accomplish your plan of action. Then, do it! Carry it out.


***Remember to pray for direction as you go within!


Written by Betty Alark

Self Portrait by  Tom Genovese

No comments:

Post a Comment